Monday, July 19, 2010

Blackberry Breakfast Bars


These lovely bars are filled with blackberries* and surrounded by a delicious, slightly crunchy, entirely chewy oatmeal shortbread.  The recipe came from my favorite food blog, smitten kitchen.  I used blackberries instead of raspberries because they were picked about an hour before I arrived at my favorite farmstand.  I'm a sucker for fresh picked berries.  Next though, I've got to try them with peaches.  Doesn't that just sound dreamy? 

*I've been semi-obsessed with blackberries since my friend Sharif taught me that they are members of a fruit family called drupes, which essentially are a fleshy fruit with a stone hidden inside.  Other drupes include cherries, mangoes, plums, nectarines, peaches, dates, and olives.  Blackberries are a special kind of drupe, the berry's flesh is composed of "aggregated drupelets."  Drupelets!  How cute is that?  

1 comment: